The 2022 World Cup has now finished so we can look back and reflect. We take a look at some of the shocks, significant moments, standout player performances and other key factors as we piece together the World Cup overview.
With the help of the Official Fifa World Cup website we can access scores, fixtures, groups, goal scorers, goal providers and lots more fantastic information to help aid putting our World Cup overview together and what a World Cup it has been!
- The World Cup hosts Qatar suffered a catastrophic campaign as they failed to win a single match and lost all three.
- One of the biggest shocks of the tournament came between Argentina and Saudi Arabia as the latter shocked the South Americans in their 2-1 win.
- Another dramatic match came between Germany and Japan as Japan came from a goal behind to snatch a late 2-1 victory.
- Spain lit up the World Cup with the biggest win of the tournament as they dismantled Costa Rica in a massive 7-0 win.
- Morocco proved their worth against Belgium as they took a comfortable 2-0 win.
- England saw off their local rivals Wales 3-0. The English finished the group stages as the highest scorers.
- Another significant result came between Australia and Denmark. Australia made history as they punished the poor Danes in their 1-0 win. The win meant Australia advanced and Denmark did not.
- It was a dramatic finish to Group E. Germany had to win against Costa Rica, which they did 4-2. However, Japan made another shock win against Spain 2-1. This meant the Germans were dumped out of the group stages.
- Korea Republic shocked Portugal to secure a last gasp progression to the last 16 in their 2-1 win.
Who progressed from the group stage?
- Korea Republic
The round of 16
- Netherlands proved too strong for USA. The finished the game with a 3-1 victory. Defender Denzel Dumfries stole the show as he created two assists and scored.
- Argentina were dominant in their match against Australia and won 2-1 with the help of in-form striker Lionel Messi.
- France hit three past Poland to kill the tie 3-1. Striker Kylian Mbappe ran riot, creating all three goals.
- It was a comfortable game for England as they saw off Senegal 3-0 to progress.
- A tightly contested match finished 1-1 between Croatia and Japan. The Croatians showed their experience as they won on penalties.
- Brazil ran riot against Korea Republic in their 4-1 win. Strikers Richarlison, Vinicus Junior and Neymarr all contributed.
- Morocco defied the odds as they won their last tie against Spain in a dramatic penalty shootout.
- Portugal showed their class as they hit Switzerland with six goals. Young striker Goncalo Ramos stole the show as he replaced the benched Cristiano Ronaldo to bag a hattrick.
The quarter finals
- The quarter finals were even more dramatic as there were plenty of shocks.
- High flying Brazil came up against an experienced and well-drilled Croatia. Croatia defended with their lives and managed to take the Brazilians to a penalty shootout which they won.
- Argentina had to face a well organized and dangerous Netherlands. The South Americans took a 2-0 lead with the help of Messi but the Dutch hit back. Netherlands scored two late goals to take the game to a penalty shootout which Argentina won with the heroics of goalkeeper Emi Martinez.
- The free-scoring Portugal had to break down the defiant Moroccans as Cristiano Ronaldo failed to start the game. The African side shocked the world as they won the game 1-0 to dump the Portuguese out.
- A clash of the titans came between England and France. The English looked strong but France were clinical when it mattered. England striker Harry Kane failed to convert his second penalty after scoring his first and lost the game 2-1, France progressed.
- Argentina v Croatia should have been a tighter match but the Croatians could not handle the flair and class of Messi. The South Americans took a comfortable 3-0 win and progressed to the final.
- France were a task to much for the strong Moroccan. An early goal came from defender Theo Hernandez and the Moroccans reacted well. Unfortunately their bluntness in front of goal was apparent and the French killed the game with a last minute goal to win 2-0.
The final was between Argentina v France although for many, it felt like Mbappe v Messi. Argentina completely dominated the game whilst Messi ran the show and contributed towards their 2-0 lead. However, a couple of France changes late second half saw an immediate response. Mbappe proved his quality by putting away a penalty and scoring a stunning volley to secure extra time.
Extra time came and the first half was very cagey. After a nervy first half, the action returned as Messi struck to give Argentina the lead. France then won a dramatic penalty and Mbappe comfortably converted, meaning the game finished on a penalty shootout.
Both Messi and Mbappe converted their penalties but a huge save from Martinez and a nervy French miss meant Argentina won and claimed the World Cup!
Are you getting ready for the Fantasy Premier League to return? Check out all of our most recent FPL articles here.